Journal

8:52 PM Harts for Africa 1 Comments

Exodus 17:8 While the people of Israel were still at Rephidim, the warriors of Amalek came to fight against them. 9 Moses commanded Joshua, “Call the Israelites to arms, and fight the army of Amalek. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.”
10 So Joshua did what Moses had commanded. He led his men out to fight the army of Amalek. Meanwhile Moses, Aaron, and Hur went to the top of a nearby hill. 11 As long as Moses held up the staff with his hands, the Israelites had the advantage. But whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites gained the upper hand. 12 Moses’ arms finally became too tired to hold up the staff any longer. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side, holding up his hands until sunset. 13 As a result, Joshua and his troops were able to crush the army of Amalek.
14 Then the Lord instructed Moses, “Write this down as a permanent record, and announce it to Joshua: I will blot out every trace of Amalek from under heaven.” 15 Moses built an altar there and called it “The Lord Is My Banner.” 16 He said, “They have dared to raise their fist against the Lord’s throne, so now the Lord will be at war with Amalek generation after generation.” NLT

Israel was victorious and God spoke to Moses about writing down the victory.
As I read this I was reminded of the importance of writing. When we commit thoughts to print it brings clarity to a situation. Things that caused us trouble seem smaller. We have the added benefit of being reminded of the victories we have had at a later date.
When I read back though my journal I can’t help but smile and grow in stature as I see what God has done for me and with me. I also wonder why problems I had seemed so big at the time. In print and under the light of time they seem to loose their enormity. Moses knew that God gave them the victory. By writing it down he and the generations to follow had a place to go when things were tough, drawing strength ready for the new victory.

As we face troubles it is the time to read our journals if we lack one to read, now would be a great time to start writing about the problems we face. Don’t forget to add the victory as God answers your prayers.

Be blessed
Greg Hart