Coffee

3:49 PM Harts for Africa 0 Comments

I was having a coffee with a friend and noticed with every sip he screwed up his face. I asked him what was wrong?
His reply, “I don’t like the taste.”
I asked “why do you drink coffee if you don’t like it?”
His reply, “It’s good for you.”
I asked, “why is it good for you?”
“Well” he said, “you white skins all drink it and it tastes so bad the only reason you would drink it is for its health benefits.”

This is a true story and points out a communication problem. My African friend was floored when I explained that I drink coffee because I like the taste and in fact coffee is not healthy at all. He had made an observation and come to a reasonable conclusion.

In the big scheme of things this misunderstanding had little negative effect but highlighted a bigger problem. When being a light we have to be conscious of where our light is pointing. People tend to hold more value in what they observe you doing than in what they hear you say.

Are you a doer of the word or a hearer only? How’s your impact?

Be blessed
Greg